Thursday, May 1, 2008

Antique Power Axe/Kindling Machine






















I came across this old machine advertised in a local paper as a "kindling machine". I did not end up buying the machine, but I thought it was interesting, so I took some pictures and a video of it in use. The owners were a woman and her husband who ran a firewood business in North Haven CT. She said they used it to produce kindling for many years and recently had all the timber framing replaced. Although it did not seem to be the safest machine, it sure was productive!.
I did some research and found out that this machine was called a "Power Axe" and it is about a hundred years old. It's patent said it was produced in various sizes. A very long leather belt went around the large wheel on the top and was connected to a large electric motor providing the power. There is another moving axe on the other side of the machine, so two people can split wood at once.

George














No comments: